When you speak on stage, the devil is in these details
When you speak on stage, the devil is in the details.
When you’ve mustered enough courage to speak on stage, the stress really doesn’t come from speaking itself (though I confess it can feel a little nerve-wracking at times). The stress comes from the details like:
- who provides audio/visuals for the Powerpoint presentation
- who provides the handouts
- what happens if you or the Event Host has to cancel unexpectedly
- who covers your transportation, meals and lodging
- when do you need to be at the event (for all of it, or just parts?)
- what your responsibilities are before, during and after your talk
Yes, it’s THAT stuff that causes headaches, miscommunication and stress when you’re invited to speak at an event.
But, here’s the good news. You can head it off by getting clear about who does what, and putting that in writing.
For every event I speak at, the Event Host and I have used a Speaker Agreement specifically designed for a live event or conference. And you should too!
Why use a Speaker Agreement?
- to create clarity with the Event Host about EVERYTHING
- to avoid murky details and misunderstandings
- to protect your income if it’s a paid event (cha-ching!)
- to get on the same page about the presentation & expectations
- to spell out affiliate commissions if you make an offer from the stage
- to support your sacral chakra around boundaries, relationships and money
Have a talk coming up soon where you’re speaking from the stage?
Get your DIY Speaker Agreement (for Live Event or Conference) HERE.
In case you’re wondering, the DIY Speaker Agreement lets you save money, do it yourself, and get covered quicker than it takes to watch 2 TedX talks. Easy-peasy, done.
If you already have a Speaker Agreement and you’re scratching your head wondering if it really covers your buns, feel free to hit reply and we can chat. Happy to help.
Now, if you haven’t yet taken the plunge to speak on stage but that little inner voice is coaxing you to do it… I say GO FOR IT!
You have a big message to share and people who are dying to hear what you have to say. Though it can feel a little daunting, it’s about being of service and helping the audience. Remember.. It’s not about you at all. It’s about helping THEM. When you come from this place of love and service, it’s MUCH easier to just do it.
If I can do it, YOU can do it.
This year, for example, I already have been a speaker at:
- Centre Stage Live – hosted by Chantelle Adams in May
- Conscious Marketing: Social Media Bootcamp – hosted by Dr. Keesha Ewers in June
- Camp GLP – hosted by Jonathan Fields in August
I’m also getting ready to speak at:
- Flourish & Thrive Live – hosted by Tracey Matthews & Robin Kramer in September
- From Passion to Profits LIVE – hosted by Carolin Soldo in late September/October
Whew! The list goes on…It’s YOUR turn to take the stage! Where do you hope to speak? Where are you lined up to talk? Are you already using a Speaker Agreement? If so, kudos to you! If not, get your DIY Speaker Agreement ready to go ASAP.
Here’s to taking the stage… and to using a Speaker Agreement!
As a holistic nutrition professional, it is important to protect yourself and your business. Join me TODAY at 4 pm PT/7 pm ET on this LIVE webinar for Hawthorn University to learn 5 Easy Legal Steps to keeping your income, website and content safe, to secure your finances, keep away copycats and protect your programs, products and courses. Register for the webinar here.
I am so thrilled to be a guest expert on the “Build Your World Class Brand” Summit hosted by my friend, the talented International Brand Strategist and Business Success Coach, Hanna Fitz. Hanna has brought together her background in fashion and business to help you get closer to creating a world-class brand in this FREE online summit. Sign up for access to key experts and free resources to take your brand and life to a WORLD CLASS level. No joke. Sign up for the free summit here.