episode 80: does HIPAA apply to health coaches?
If you’re a health coach or a non-licensed practitioner, you might be wondering if HIPAA applies to you. Are you required to follow HIPAA policies about the confidentiality of client information and records? Does HIPPA apply if clients share lab test results with you? Do you need to use HIPAA-compliant websites and online platforms? Are you legally required to keep client information safe?
In this episode, you’ll learn whether HIPAA applies to you as a health coach and 4 ways to protect client information.
in this episode you’ll learn:
- What HIPAA is and who must follow HIPAA
- What happens when a client shares medical information with a health coach
- What exception to the HIPAA law might apply to you
- Who’s considered a “business associate” according to HIPAA
- 4 Ways to keep client information confidential as a health coach, including when you can’t disclose names or details about your clients
This podcast is attorney advertising and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. It is educational and informational and not legal advice. Always work directly with an attorney about your specific situation. References to clients include truthful statements from real clients but their names have been changed to protect confidentiality. These client stories are not a guarantee, warranty, or prediction regarding the outcome of your legal situation. They are shared purely to educate and inform you about potential general legal issues that may arise in business. Guest experts have not been compensated for their interviews.