episode 96: plagiarism, publishing
& people who steal your work
People often ask where the line is drawn when it comes to quoting someone else’s work in their program, book or on their website. Can you include a paragraph written by someone you admire? What constitutes copying or “stealing” someone else’s work versus what’s permissible? What can you do if someone copies content from YOUR book or website and puts it up on THEIR website?
In this episode, you’ll gain some clarity about plagiarism and publishing, and what to do if people steal your work.
in this episode you’ll learn:
- What constitutes plagiarism
- Whether you can you actually “steal” someone else’s words
- What is considered a violation of someone’s Copyright rights
- What “fair use” means and when it applies
- The safest thing to do when you want to include someone else’s work
- Suggestions for posting quotes or images on social media
- How to handle making recommendations for products
- What to do if someone’s taken your work and posted it on THEIR website
- What a “DMCA Takedown Notice” involves
- Other legal issues to consider when you’re writing a book
Easy Legal Steps – download the first book chapter free!
Episode 29 – Copyright 101 & When to Use the ‘Little C’
Episode 16 – How to Legally Use Images on Social Media
Episode 74 – How Not to Make Medical Claims
Episode 41 – 6 FAQs from Book Authors
Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary
This podcast is attorney advertising and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. It is educational and informational and not legal advice. Always work directly with an attorney about your specific situation. References to clients include truthful statements from real clients but their names have been changed to protect confidentiality. These client stories are not a guarantee, warranty, or prediction regarding the outcome of your legal situation. They are shared purely to educate and inform you about potential general legal issues that may arise in business. Guest experts have not been compensated for their interviews.