“medicine” versus “coaching” – this is a myth
My team and I hear a lot of rumors and comments from clients about “what other people are doing” in the coaching space…
People say, “I see other coaches doing lab tests and recommending supplements and they’re not licensed, so can’t I do that too?”
So many coaches are so confused – and even terrified – about whether what they are doing is legal.
And so many doctors and licensed medical practitioners think they can just flip a switch and start practicing as a “coach” without changing anything they do.
It’s time to debunk a myth about “medicine” versus “coaching”….
Myth: Coaches can do “whatever they want.”
While coaches aren’t licensed like medical practitioners, they can’t exactly do “whatever they want” with their clients.
- Coaches need to abide by nutrition laws in their state.
- Coaches can’t cross the line into practicing medicine.
- Coaches need to follow lab testing laws.
- Coaches can’t make medical claims(and more!)
Now more than ever (especially since the pandemic), licensed medical practitioners come to me because they want to switch to the profession of coaching.
They’re tired of insurance. Tired of working so many hours. Tired of going to a medical office or hospital. Tired of the conventional medical system. Tired in general.
They come to me with “just a few questions about how to become a coach” – and what they can/can’t do practicing as a coach.
What licensed medical practitioners don’t realize is that shifting from medicine to coaching is not as simple as getting answers to “a few legal questions”…
It’s understanding an entirely different way of doing business – a different profession.
Coaching and medicine are very different, including:
- the services you can offer
- what title you can use
- what education you need
- what personalized advice you can give
- what insurance to use…the list goes on and on.
It’s not a simple switch to go from medicine to coaching – though it may seem like it is.
And, likewise, it can be tricky for coaches to stay OUT of practicing medicine.
I want you to know the SAFE and SMART way to get answers so you can:
✅ reduce your risk
✅ leverage your knowledge
✅ expand your reach
✅ get clarity (from a lawyer who teaches what you CAN do in a fast, efficient way)
That’s why I created the Protect Your Practice Package.
Who is this package for?
It’s for YOU if you’re a licensed medical practitioner, functional medicine practitioner
or health & wellness coach who wants to expand in the online space including…
- Doctors (all kinds)
- Doctor of Medicine – MD
- Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine – DO
- Doctor of Chiropractic Medicine – DC, DCM
- Doctor of Naturopathic Medicine – ND
- Doctor of Traditional Chinese Medicine/Acupuncture – DAcm, DAc, DAOM, etc.
- Doctor of Dental Medicine – DDM, DMD, DDS
- Doctor of Podiatric Medicine – DPM
- Nurse Practitioners and Advanced Practice Nurses – DN, APRN
- Nurses – RN, RN-BASN, LPN
- Physician Assistants – PA
- Pharmacists – PharmD
- Registered Dietitians and Certified Nutrition Specialists
- Therapists (all kinds)
- Mental Health Therapists, Counselors & Social Workers
- Physical Therapists – DPT, MPT
- Speech Pathologists/Therapists & Audiologists
- Occupational Therapists
- Massage Therapists
- Functional Medicine Coaches and Practitioners
- Health & Wellness Coaches
- Any licensed medical practitioner or health or wellness coach who wants to reach more people…but not violate the law.
If you’re ready to spread your wings to reach more people, here’s how to get answers to your legal questions about medicine versus coaching…
Learn more and enroll in the Protect Your Practice Package here.
And oh! It might help you to know that my client Elly came to me because she needed these answers too…
As a Naturopathic Doctor, Elly wasn’t sure how to move forward into the online coaching space working with women without jeopardizing her license or doing something wrong.
I’m happy to say she’s clear now. And actually, you can hear it from her…
Here’s to getting super clear about medicine v. coaching so you can feel confident as you expand your reach online! Protect Your Practice can help!
Looking for ways to practice as a “coach” but not be accused of the unlicensed practice of “medicine”? Look no further. Enroll in the Protect Your Practice Package here.