episode 88: 2 big risks when doing a trademark search
The first step to Trademarking your brand is to do a Trademark Search. The purpose of a Trademark Search is to identify potential conflicts with existing registered Trademarks so you can assess whether it’s wise to move forward with a Trademark Application. I recommend that you have an attorney help you with the Trademark Search, but clients often ask me, “What are the risks if I do a Trademark Search on my own?”
In today’s episode, we’ll identify the 2 biggest risks to watch for when doing a Trademark Search on your own.
in this episode you’ll learn:
- What a Trademark is and how it protects you
- The main benefit of Trademarking
- 2 big risks of doing a Trademark Search on your own
- What can happen if you rely solely on an “initial search” in the USPTO database
- Why what is “confusingly similar” to the USPTO might not be apparent to you
- Why I recommend having a lawyer experienced in Trademarking help you with a Trademark Search
- Why I believe having a Trademark is a “crown jewel” for a small business owner
Easy Legal Steps – download the first book chapter free!
Episode 7—What You Should Trademark
Episode 48 – 3 Reasons to Trademark
Episode 25 – How to Trademark in 2 Steps: The Search and the Application