Eeeks! Where to start with legal protection on a budget?
I added it up. In the past 5 years, I’ve given over 2,600 Free Legal Chats to anyone who had a legal question. (Yes, there’ve been truly that many! That’s over 1,500 hours of #legallove.) As a result, I can honestly say that I hear you.
You want to know exactly where to start with legal protection….especially if you are on a budget.
I get told all the time that law can be intimidating and overwhelming. Just the other day, a cute gal said she was afraid to even talk with me on the phone because I’m a lawyer. I quickly reassured her that I’m #notyourtypicallawyer and she could take a deep breath and stop worrying I’m going to be stuffy, scary or stodgy. #amentothat
Sometimes I know that even looking at my 30+ DIY Legal Templates can be enough to make you want to shake in your shoes.
There’s a LOT of legal info out there and you may not have any idea where to start. Or what to spend your money on first. Here’s my BEST #legallove tip about where to begin:
Protect your income first.
Yep! Start with legal protection around everything that brings you moolah.
1. If you work with 1-on-1 clients, use a Client Agreement
If you offer a 4-week jumpstart, 3-month coaching program, or a series of 6 intuitive energy healing sessions, use a contract.
Why? So your clients:
- PAY YOU!!
- Know the “rules of the game” – up front!
- Show up for you & get better results.
- Avoid awkward, uncomfortable conversations later.
- Get ALL of the details in writing.
Make sure it’s all spelled out. Up front. Crystal clear.
Like if you offer an online self-study course, paid e-book, or the world’s best gluten-free, dairy-free, everything-free snack bars.
Why? So you can be clear about your:
- Sales terms (make sure purchasers “check the box” to agree – or as my friends in Canada or across the pond say, “tick the box”!)
- Refund policy.
- Online commerce terms if they pay by credit card, debit card or PayPal.
- Protecting your materials & products – so no one swipes them!
Spelling things out in WRITING creates clear boundaries…which equals fewer headaches and Legal Pickles™ for you.
Don’t wing it without agreements in place to protect your income. Leave the “winging” to “Wings Night” at the sports bar!